Christmas is upon us once again. Once again I am behind the eight-ball…….or at least I feel like that! True, I decorate right after Halloween.
But, that doesn’t mean I am organized! I always have these crazy plans of hosting this or that. I could be a professional hostess. My mom would say, Hostess with the Mostess! I do have a thing for decorating, however. Multiple trees, lights everywhere, Santa & snowmen collections, Christmas books, garlands, figurines…name it, it’s here! I love, love, love to share the decor with all. It makes me warm and fuzzy, what can I say?
I have gathered my top ten list of Christmas decor tips here for your reading pleasure! I hope you find something useful and begin find your Holiday style
Top Ten Holiday Décor Tips:
- I know you all like real trees…..but, buy an artificial one! If you must have real greenery, accent your home with living potted pines, real pine wreaths or real pine garlands. They will give you the scent of the season without being such a fire hazard.
- Start early! I know many of you don’t decorate until after Thanksgiving…blah, blah, blah……..well, you will enjoy the season much more if you consider doing at least some of the décor before turkey day. That way, on the day after when you are tired and overstuffed, you can just flip the light switch sit back and enjoy! Plus…if you do the outside, you can watch out the window and snicker at your neighbor!
- Go with a theme when doing a party. It makes everything more fun and it’s easier to work with. One year we did a James Bond Christmas party. Mini martinis and olive tastings were a hit!
- Keep a box, bag or basket around when decorating. In this keep hooks, those little packets of extra light bulbs and fuses for the strands of lights, a good all around clear household glue ( for those breakable things that broke!), extension cords, note paper and a pen.
- When unpacking all your fantastic décor….write yourself notes as to what was in each box. It will make it much easier to pack it away. You will thank yourself!
- If you do multiple trees (like I do)….keep them themed as well. I have a country tree, a gold “Paris” tree, a sentimental tree with old ornaments and a children’s tree. They all have their own tub of décor.
- When decorating….don’t feel like you have to put everything out, every year. I rotate some of the décor. My music box collection only comes out every other year, I don’t put all the ornaments out every year, etc. That way it keeps your décor fresh and new to you each year.
- When putting it all away again, write yourself a note as to where each thing went. For example: I have two lighted houses and a lighted church sitting on the piano. I think I will remember next year….I won’t. Pictures also help. Take pictures of all the décor. Then, the following year, before you put it all up, take a look at them. You will get ideas and play off them. Maybe recreating the same look or changing it up. I try every two years to switch things around. I don’t want the same reindeer in the same place year after year!
- Don’t stick to just the visual aspect. Decorating for me encompasses all the senses. The season is filled with music, scents and softness. I play Christmas music all the time. One of my favorite cd’s is Lynyrd Skynrd and 38-Special’s Christmas CD….too awesome. I keep the house smelling Christmas-like with cinnamon pinecones, holiday spice scented candles and potpourri I also try to bake…try, I said Warm, soft blankets are kept on the couch for cool nights by the fire.
- The last thing I can think of for a decorating tip is: HAVE FUN! Don’t think of it as a chore. Think of it as a blessing, a reward, a gift. Christmas is such a special time of year. Take time to pause and reflect on life. You are decorating to celebrate the birth of Christ. Santamas just doesn’t have the same ring to it…..no hard feelings big guy!
Merry Christmas to all, and to all happy decorating!
Peace, Love & Garlands